Well-behaved Cowboys Seldom Make History


Seventeen year old Jalen Christopher Brooks walked into the saloon, his gun hanging on his hip, his Stetson placed at a cocky angle on his head and his bright green eyes scanning the patronage. He slid into a seat at the poker table and said, "Mind if I join the game gents?"

The other men at the table were much older and one arched an eyebrow at the kid. "I think you need to go home to your Mama little boy."

Another one said, "Rafe, let him stay…he'll be easy pickin's."

Rafe glanced at the other man and gave an evil grin. "Hadn't thought of that Ted."

Jalen frowned at the reception, but then shrugged. He'd show these old geezers. He was pretty proficient at playing poker. He wasn't as green as they were thinking.

Rafe said, "You can stay kid if you have the money. Stakes are five dollars and minimum a dollar a hand."

Jalen shrugged. "That's fine." He drew out his pouch and tossed a five dollar gold coin on the table. "I'm in."

The men all glanced at each other and each man put up the ante and Rafe, whose turn it was to deal dealt out the cards.

As the play went around they found the kid was much more of a challenge than they had anticipated. He was actually very skilled. Hand after hand was played and Jalen's pile of coins continued to grow. They couldn't see him cheating in any manner. He lost hands as well as won them.

During the time of playing Jalen had been given drinks and he put the whiskey glass to his lips and took very little. The other men were drinking heavily and Jalen took advantage of their inebriation and poor judgment as a result.

When it was getting late and time for Jalen to get back to the Smoking K he gathered up his winnings, pocketing them after having won the last hand and captured most of the other men's money.

Rafe asked sharply, "Where d'ya think yer goin' kid?" his words a bit slurred.

"I need to leave now. It's getting' late and mornin' comes early."

The other man said, "Yer ain't goin' nowhere kid `til we win back some of that money from ya."

Jalen shook his head. "Sorry gents. I have to go." He stood up and before he knew it Rafe had pulled a gun on him. "Sit down kid."

Jalen had instinctively pulled his own gun and said, "Look old man, I said I'm leavin' and that's that."

Rafe took a shot at Jalen, missing him completely because of his being drunk.
Jalen responded with a shot of his own which missed as the man passed out onto the table.

Jalen turned to leave and someone threw a punch at him and before he knew it he was in the middle of a saloon brawl.

Sheriff Coleman was summoned and he finally broke up the fight and hauled everyone to his jail.

Sheriff Coleman looked at Jalen and said, "You work for Dallas Kincaid don't you kid?"

Jalen, now sporting a black eye, had a split lip and blood running from his nose nodded. "Yes Sir."

Sheriff Coleman tended to everyone's injuries, and then sent his deputy to inform those he could of the whereabouts of their wayward men.

*****

Dallas Kincaid was awakened by a pounding on the door of his house. He pulled on his jeans and with tousled black curls went to open the door. He quirked an eyebrow when he saw it was Deputy David Collins. "Dave…what's wrong?" He asked.

"Sheriff Coleman has one of your men in jail. There was a brawl at the saloon. Jalen Brooks…he does work for you?"

Dallas's Smokey blue eyes darkened. "Yes, he works for me…is he all right?"

Dave said, "He's banged up a little, but nothin' broken and no serious injuries. Are you goin' to come fetch him? You know the usual bail…ten dollars."

Dallas sighed. "Yes…unfortunately I do know." Dallas had to bail more than one of his hands out in these situations before. He hadn't expected his newest and youngest one to get into this kind of trouble right off the bat. "I'll come for him in the mornin'. Tell Sheriff Coleman thank you for me."

Deputy Collins nodded. "I'll be sure to tell him Mr. Kincaid. I'll be on my way I still have several more places to visit."

Dallas nodded. "All right and thank you."

Dave smiled. "Even though it's not the best news you're welcome."

Once Deputy Collins left Dallas shut the door and went back to bed. He figured spending the night in jail wouldn't hurt that young man, but he and Jalen were going to have to come to terms. If he didn't step in the kid was going to get himself killed.

*****

The next morning Dallas Kincaid saddled up and rode into town. He stopped at the Sheriff's office and hitched up his horse. He dismounted and headed inside.

Alexander Coleman glanced up as the door opened. "Hello Dallas. Come to fetch your young man?"

Dallas nodded. "Yes Alex…I'm here to take him back to the ranch."

The Sheriff nodded and as Dallas placed the required bail money on the desk Sheriff Coleman got the keys and called, "Brooks…Mr. Kincaid is here for you."

Jalen bit his lip and then winced at the action. He figured he was going to get fired. He went with Sheriff Coleman. His eyes widened as he saw the money on the desk. "I can pay my own bail Mr. Kincaid." He told him.

Dallas locked Smokey blue eyes with the bright green and said, "Kid, if I were you I'd just keep my mouth shut. We'll settle this when we get back to the ranch."

Something in Dallas's tone and whole demeanor made Jalen comply instead of giving a cocky, arrogant reply, which was what he had been doing lately.

Once Dallas had settled things up with the Sheriff he walked with Jalen over to the livery to collect his horse. Once Jalen was mounted Dallas walked back to the Sheriff's office, got on his own mount and led the way back to the ranch.

Once they arrived Dallas and Jalen put up their horses and then Dallas said, "Kid, come up to the house with me. I want to talk to you."

Jalen was tempted to say no, but then shrugged. "All right."

As they entered the house Dallas closed the door and led the way to the living room. He sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to him. "Have a seat Jalen."

Jalen did as he was bid.

Dallas looked into the green eyes and said, "I expect you think I'm goin' to fire you for this incident."

Jalen nodded and sighed. "Yes Sir…I'll be packed and off the ranch before noon."

Dallas quirked an eyebrow. "Did I tell you I was going to fire you yet?"

Jalen shrugged. "You're about to so I'll just save you the trouble."

Dallas shook his head. "Tell me Jalen…what got into you in town?"

Jalen shrugged. "You know well behaved cowboys seldom make history…I guess I wanted to make history…be the youngest and the best poker player to ever walk into the saloon."

Dallas shook his head at the answer. "You're goin' to make history all right…the hand with the hottest smokin' butt on the Smokin' K." Dallas declared.

Jalen's mouth dropped opened in shock. "Y- You can't do that! I'm not a child!"

Dallas looked him in the eye. "I know you're not a child, you're a boy…not a full grown man either. You've been tryin' to make everyone around here think you're grown when you're not. Tryin' to make the hands think you know what you're doin' when you don't. This little brawl should show you that."

Jalen shrugged. "I am grown."

Dallas shook his head. "Not by a long shot kid. I know you have street smarts, but when it comes to creatin' relationships, you're still a baby."

Jalen scowled at the words. "I'm not a baby!" He protested.

"Only in the sense of your inexperience. I hate to admit this kid, but you've grown on me…I really like you and if you'll let me I can help you grow into a true man, not what your version of a man may be…because I can already see that path is goin' to lead you to an early death."

Jalen shrugged. "Well I might die young, but at least I'd be remembered in history like some of the infamous outlaws."

Dallas shook his head. "I'd want more than that for you kid, runnin' from the law all the time and every other gunslinger gunnin' for you and wantin' to take your life…it's not the kind of life I'd want for you…I'd like you to be happy, feel loved and respected. It might not make you be remembered in the history books, but it certainly would make you remembered by others whose lives you touch…especially mine."

Jalen listened with amazement. This man was pretty much telling him he cared about what happened to him? No one in his life up to now had ever told him that…could he trust it to be true?"

Dallas watch the myriad of emotions going through the green eyes and he said with a rueful smile. "I want to tell you this kid, you've captured my heart. I've started lookin' at you as someone I could care for shortly after you got here…for some reason I knew you needed someone like me."

Jalen looked a bit shell shocked, surprised by the older man's revelation.

"Are you tellin' me you care about me…like a father would a son?"

Dallas shook his head. "Not exactly…more like a mentor, someone you can trust to have your best interest in mind, someone to help guide you and keep you on the right path. I know you're surprised. It surprises me as well, but it also makes my heart joyful. I want to help you along Jalen…to help you find your true path in life if you'll allow me."

Jalen bit his lip. "It's a lot to take in all at once."

Dallas nodded. "I'm sure…you think about it for a bit, and then if you decide you'd like that kind of relationship, I'll help you to take the next step which would be acceptin' discipline from me."

Jalen bit his lip and nodded. "All right…I'll think about it Mr. Kincaid."

Dallas squeezed Jalen's shoulders. "You do that. Perhaps we'll both go down in history as the first to have this sort of relationship." He teased.

Jalen wrinkled his nose at Dallas then grinned his little boy grin.

*****

Later that afternoon Jalen sought out Dallas. He had done a lot of thinking. He had talked to some of the men and they had been honest with him about how fed up they were getting with his arrogant little boy attitude.

He knocked on the door and Dallas answered it. "Come on in Jalen." He said.

Jalen entered and then nervously bit his lip. "I thought a lot about what we talked about this mornin' and I've decided to take the chance. I'm not sure what you meant by discipline, but if it means I won't get fired and can continue to work for you here then I suppose I'll have to accept whatever you see fit." He said bravely.

Dallas studied the young man intently and then asked, "Even if it's a spankin'?"

Jalen's green eyes widened. "A sp---spankin'? Isn't that just for little kids?"

Dallas shook his head. "No, it's for anyone who needs one and in my opinion you need one."
Jalen scowled. "Why do you think I need one?"

"Because it will teach you to think about the consequences of your choices as well as your behavior. When you begin to get cocky and arrogant again hopefully you'll think about what happened when you did that."

Jalen protested, "But I don't want a spankin'!"

Dallas said softly, "Don't know anyone who does. It's your choice to make, accept the spankin' and what I have to offer you or go on your way." Dallas said, not unkindly. His Smokey blue eyes held hope that Jalen would accept both the punishment and what he had to offer.

Jalen mulled things over in his mind, his green eyes again reflecting conflicting emotions. "Are you goin' to beat me with a strap or somethin'?" He asked.

This time it was Dallas's turn to be shocked. "No! Of course not! I wouldn't harm you in any way…a mentor wouldn't do that!"

Jalen nodded. "Well, whenever I've been disciplined in that way, it was what usually happened. I just learned how to not get caught doin' things I oughten't so I avoided that."

Dallas shook his head. "That was pure punishment Jalen, not true discipline. Discipline is done so you learn from it and is a deterrent to continuing to engage in certain behaviors."

Jalen looked at Dallas and listened to his words. "So this spankin' is supposed to remind me to not be arrogant and cocky?"

Dallas nodded. "Yes, because after you experience the spanking you won't want it repeated very soon."

Jalen bit his lip. He had so many conflicting emotions. He felt the sincerity of Dallas and thought he could trust him, but he realized a spanking would hurt and did he really want to submit to that? Then there was the feeling of someone who cared about him and that had been something lacking in his life…could he do this? Could he submit to a spanking and continue to live here on the Smoking K, or should he just pick up and move on? He didn't like that option either. It was a lonely existence drifting from place to place and this was the first place he had felt wanted and welcomed…he bit his lip and then gave a slight nod. "All right…you can spank me." He said in an almost whisper.

Dallas hugged Jalen. "Thank you for choosin' to let me help you Jalen. It makes me proud and humbled that you'll trust me that much."

Jalen, despite himself felt himself leaning into the hug the older man was offering. "How will you do it?" He asked hesitantly, both wanting and not wanting to really know.

Dallas said, "With my hand this time and on your bare bottom."

Jalen cringed at the words, but nodded. "Okay." He said softly.

Dallas said, "I'm goin' to put you over my knee. It will be all right. I promise you." He told Jalen softly, stroking the sandy hair.

The younger man nodded. "Never had it that way before." He told Dallas.

Dallas said, "Well, it's the way my Papa did it, so I suppose it's the way I'll do it with you."

Jalen's green eyes widened. "You're Papa spanked you…like what you just told me?"

Dallas chuckled. "Yes he did…even when I was your age."

Jalen looked at Dallas incredulously. "But…you were almost grown!"

Dallas smiled. "That didn't matter to Papa. He would always tell me I was never goin' to be too big or too grown for him to spank me. He was right too…did it whenever I needed it right up until the day he died." Dallas's Smokey blue eyes clouded over for a moment with the emotions and memory of his Papa. "He was a good man." He told Jalen.

Jalen gave Dallas a small smile. "I'm glad."

Dallas asked, "Ready to get this over with?"

Jalen took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes Sir."

Dallas said, "We talked about why you're getting' a spankin'…do you understand?"

Jalen nodded. "Because my cocky and arrogant attitude got me in trouble and I coulda got hurt." He added.

Dallas nodded. "That's right. I wouldn't want you to get hurt." He stood Jalen up and guided him to his right side and said, "Loosen your jeans."

Jalen fumbled with the buttons, but did as he was asked.

Dallas guided the teen over his lap and settled him, snugging him up close to his stomach. Then he eased the jeans down to Jalen's knees and also slid his underpants down, baring his pale mounds.

Jalen shivered as he felt his bottom being bared and Dallas flipping his shirt tails up over is back. He felt strangely secure yet vulnerable at the same time.

Dallas, having readied Jalen patted his cheeks lightly in warning and then proceeded with the spanking.

Jalen at first didn't think it was too bad, but as spank after spank rained down and his bottom grew hotter and hotter and more and more tender he began to yelp and wriggle.

This didn't bother Dallas and he continued to spank the vulnerable bottom before him with slow steady spanks until it was a fiery red. Then changing his legs, lowering one and raising the other a bit moved Jalen forward and tipped him so his soft and tender sit spots and under curves were exposed for his attention.

Jalen, feeling himself being tipped forward instinctively clung to Dallas's leg and when the spanks began to fall on his more tender spots began to yelp a bit louder, then beg and then tears came and he sobbed.

Dallas scolded "You will let go of your arrogant and cocky attitudes or you'll find yourself in this position again." As he continued the spanking he said, "You will think about the danger you put yourself in before going off half cocked little boy or you'll find your bottom being set on fire once more." He did just that making Jalen's sit spots and under curves glow.

Dallas continued to scold and spank until Jalen finally went limp over his lap. Once this occurred Dallas gave him a few more well placed swats and then righted him in his lap and hugged him tight, rocking him slightly as well. He rubbed his back and spoke soothingly to him and once he was sure he could hear him as Jalen's sobs and tears had subsided enough he told him, "You're forgiven and I want you to remember I care a lot about you Jalen Christopher Brooks."

Jalen found himself snuggling into the embrace and when he finally wiped his face and blew his nose with a handkerchief Dallas had produced, laid his head on Dallas's shoulder exhausted, but for the first time in his life also had a feeling of contentment inside.

Dallas continued to cuddle Jalen and as he felt the boy relax in his arms, carefully picked him up and brought him to his bedroom and tucked the teen into his bed. He lay on top of the covers beside him, continuing to hold and comfort him until he fell asleep.

Dallas Kincaid smiled to himself as he realized the adventure he had placed himself on taking on this youngster.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment